A chef who resides in the Florida Keys, Edwin Hammond Meredith works during the weekdays to give himself time to indulge his many other passions in life. One of Edwin Hammond Meredith’s interests is tattoos, for which proper aftercare is essential to get the most out of the artist’s work. These tips will help you take care of your new ink.
1. Listen to your tattooist and keep the bandage or wrap on your tattoo for at least a few hours, as this allows blood and ink to collect while also protecting the tattoo in the immediate aftermath of its completion.
2. Wash the tattoo at least twice a day using unscented soap.
3. Apply a thin layer of ointment, such as Aquaphor, to the tattoo once a day for three days, before switching to an unscented moisturizer to keep the tattoo hydrated.
4. Keep the tattoo out of direct sunlight for the entire recovery period, as UV light causes the ink to fade. You should also avoid sunbeds and swimming, as soaking the tattoo in water will also have negative effects.
5. As the tattoo heals you will notice it begins to scab up and skin starts peeling off. Resist the urge to scratch or pick at the tattoo during this period.